My work is about navigation of spaces and places, a mapping of space in time, through a female lens. I’m interested in the way that “Environments inhabit us”(Agnes Varda, Filmmaker).
- I explore conflicted exterior and interior spaces. The particular spaces I inhabit inform the work, although often the specificness of place is lost. The work is populated by the ghosts of walks in desolate moorland landscapes of Northern England, morphed with navigations around a domestic landscape.
- Walking is central to my methodology, much of my work is a documentary of a walk, literally and metaphorically. My walking is both a collecting and editing process. The work is what remains after the edit and erasure. It’s an approach that makes fragmentary, displaced, images.
- I make drawings, prints and collage.
- My recent project is longer term, documentary and time-based, utilising photography, painting, film and text.
- Seriality, scale and duration are current concerns. In this work I focus on the otherness and distance of landscape against the context of a human scale, contextualized by a tiny moss or lichen or a kitchen utensil.
- My practice is under-pinned by eco-feminist theories, sustainability ethics and a raised consciousness of materiality in a digital age.